Very few conditions warrant more attention and notoriety in today’s culture than concussions. They plague more people of all ages than ever before and real solutions can only achieved through proper education and awareness. There is great news however – years of research proves that Chiropractic provides unique health benefits and and answers to people suffering from this horrible condition!
Check out these sobering statistics:
1. 3.8 million concussions occurred in 2012, double the number reported in 2002.
2. Nearly a half million children under age 16 suffer concussions every year.
3. 33% are athletic-related that occur at practice, games or sporting events.
4. Nearly 1 in 5 high school athletes experience a concussion at some point during the sports season.
5. Of this number, 33% or 1 in 3 will suffer more than one concussion in the same year.
6. 70% of athletes with concussions played despite their symptoms, and 40% reported that their coaches did know about the injury.
7. The majority of concussions happen to people who did not black out or lose consciousness.
Most people do not understand the seriousness of this topic. A recent blockbuster movie titled “Concussion” starred Will Smith and showed the seriousness of this condition. One of the most significant problems exists in the circumstance that most concussions go undetected, undiagnosed, and unaddressed because the effects are not felt immediately.
Often, the use of MRI or CT to image the brain may prove unremarkable because concussion symptoms typically manifest in neuronal dysfunction, not structural damage. Advanced imaging, sadly, can miss the main objective.
Chiropractic plays a unique role in caring for people suffering from concussions for two reasons. Chiropractors undergo scientific training designed to detect a problem with the brain, nervous system and spine before any symptoms arise. Chiropractic improves the function and integrity of the spine, brain and nervous system which vastly improves the lives of those suffering.
Research in 2015 showed people with concussions also experienced a whiplash type injury to the neck. Chiropractic care administered to these patients produced outstanding results. Traditional chiropractic care for post-concussive patients resulted in rapid and sustained improvement in all signs and symptoms, allowing the tested athletes to return to full competition.
A chiropractic evaluation followed by the appropriate adjustments amplify health and recovery for all concussion sufferers. Victims can recover through a healthy, drug-free environment not delivered by any other health professional.